Tuesday, May 19, 2009

At The Hospital

So I went in for a doctor's appointment on Monday the 11th and was still at about 3 cm but I was 80-90% effaced. The doctor stripped my membranes and said he wouldn't be surprised if he saw me before I was scheduled to be induced the following Monday. Andy and I were both really hoping that I would go into labor that night. I had been anxious anyway, but I had gotten a lot done (grocery shopping, laundry, etc.) and it was just good timing for me. Andy was also at a good stopping place at work. Lucky for us during the night I started having contractions. By about 4:45 am they had been every 4 minutes about for about an hour. They really weren't painful so I debated waking Andy up yet, but the doctor had said if they were 3-5 minutes apart for an hour to go to the hospital, plus I know with Treyden that once my water broke I progressed very rapidly and although that was an induction I didn't want to risk the same thing happening while I was still at home. So I woke Andy up, and the first thing he asked was if he could shower first. So he showered while I got a few things ready to go. I have never seen Andy so awake and happy so early in the morning before. He was pretty excited. We took Treyden over to Andy's parents' and then got to the hospital about 6:00am. They checked me at the hospital and said that where I hadn't progressed any since my doctor's appointment the day before they were going to wait an hour to see if I progressed at all before admitting me. Where the doctor had stripped my membranes they said that sometimes you can have contractions without really being in labor. I was pretty upset about this because I did NOT want to be sent home. Luckily after an hour I had dilated to 4 cm so I was there to stay. By this point I was ready for my epidural as soon as they could give it to me. After an hour or so I got really nauseated and threw up, and in the middle of throwing up my water broke. By about 12:45pm I was dilated to 9cm and they called the doctor. The doctor came, I pushed twice, through one contraction, and Tanner was here! He weighed 8 lb 2 oz and was 20.5 inches long. I am so grateful to have such easy labors and to have 2 healthy boys!

38 Weeks Prego (2 days before Tanner was born)

Just waiting...and enjoying the epidural!




Dad giving Tanner his first bath


This was Andy's bed at the hospital. I think he was glad we only stayed one night.

Treyden getting to know his new little brother.

My mom and Andy's parents.

1 comment:

Laynie Turner Billman said...

He is so precious. I love his cheeks. The picture of you holding Tanner and he is looking up at you reminds me of a picture that you have of Treyden doing the same thing right after he was born.